Wednesday 6 August 2014

Machine Fest Athlete Spotlight- Melissa Chatigny

We are excited to have Melissa Chatigny competing in Machine Fest this year. Melissa placed 41st in the Reebok CrossFit Games Open in 2014 earning herself a spot in the Canada West Regionals in May where she finished 27th! She also competed in Back Alley Rally at CrossFit Machine Shop in June and won the RX'd Female division. 
 
NAME: Melissa Chatigny
DIVISION: RX female
AFFILIATE: ChampCity CrossFit
CROSSFITTING FOR: Make me better at life! 

ATHLETIC BACKGROUND: 
I started swimming at a young age and quickly discovered how competitive I was. Then switched for Volleyball through high school and college and now pretty much enjoy any board sport out there. Snowboarding, surfing, wakeboarding etc…

WHAT MADE YOU START CROSSFIT?
I started 3 years ago. I was already in the fitness industry as personal trainer and spin instructor and was looking for a new challenge. 

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WOD?
Fran

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE MOVEMENTS?
Favourite: Thrusters
Least Favourite: KB swings


WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT CROSSFIT?
I love how it always makes you question yourself if you can actually finish a workout. If you will reach that finish line. It makes you dig really deep and makes you so strong mentally. The feeling of accomplishment when you finish any wod is amazing. I also love the unknown... Anything can be thrown at you so you better be ready for anything. Not to forget the amazing community that crossfit creates. It brought all the best people together :)
 
WHAT IS YOUR DIET LIKE?
I follow a plan that was made by Kelsey Masciola, registered dietician at Revive Wellness inc. I took a month off after regionals but I have been back on track since early July.  
 
FAVOURITE CHEAT FOOD / MEAL?
Ice cream 

HOW OFTEN DO YOU WORKOUT? MULTIPLE WORKOUTS IN A DAY?
I usually try to do 3 days on and 1 day off. But I listen to my body. If I feel that the 3rd day is pushing it I take a day off and work the next day. Unless it's few weeks before regionals; I keep the training to once a day.

DO YOU HAVE ANY UPCOMING GOAL(S) IN RELATION TO CROSSFIT?
I am working on my lifting. I want bigger numbers and better consistency on my snatch. And also working on my gymnastics; handstand walk and muscle ups. Training to make it again to Regionals in 2015. And of course hoping for top 5 at machine fest ;)

WHAT IS THE MOST CHALLENGING PART OF BEING A CROSSFITTER?
The most challenging part for me is to balance being a competitive athlete and trying to have a normal life. Once the competitions are over, it's hard to take it easy and just enjoy life as I am always following a program or a food plan. So when it's all over, it's a bit challenging to not get lost in an everyday life.

WHAT ARE YOU MOST EXCITED ABOUT REGARDING THE UPCOMING MACHINE FEST COMPETITION?
I am excited to see the events and to see everybody get together and give their best. I know that for some people it will be a first competition and it’s always great to see people doing better than what they thought they could do. 

WHAT WOULD BE YOUR “IDEAL” WORKOUT AT THIS COMPETITION?
Any chippers with heavy weights are awesome.
And I love pull ups and thrusters ;) 

1 comment:

  1. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates.
    How to start a fitness studio

    ReplyDelete